Sunday, March 8, 2009

"Unmounting Wood Block Stamps"

If you're like me, you have quite a few stamps that you use... sometimes. You don't want to get rid of them, yet they're taking up drawer space. Recently I've discovered the allure of cling mount stamps - in this case - the ease of storage. While conventional rubber stamps offer a cleaner, more detailed image, they are mounted on bulky wooden blocks. All you need to convert your old wood mounted stamps to cling mount is an acrylic block of a size to match your stamps, and some "Tack and Peel" by Tsukineko, available at your favorite craft retailer. Be careful, I used my old "Stampin' Up!" stamps for this and had complete success; it may not be compatible with all varieties of wood mount stamps.

1.) Microwave a wood block stamp for 5 - 20 seconds. The time depends on the stamp size and microwave wattage. Work in 5 second increments; warming the stamp just until glue gets soft and the wood block is slightly warm to the touch. Too much microwaving and you will be explaining why your kitchen is on fire to the Fire Department.






2) Carefully peel the rubber stamp with it's adhesive foam backing and the clear image sticker from the front of the wood block.


3) Align the image sticker to the back of your rubber stamp, trying to imitate the position of the stamp as closely as possible. There should be enough glue between the two surfaces to bond.






4) Adhere Tsukineko Tack 'N Peel to your acrylic block as per the instructions. It's semi-permanent (in other words, it takes more effort than I want to expend to remove). I leave it on and use the other side of the block for my regular cling mount stamps. Keep the clear protective sheet that it comes with on the sticky "Tack 'N Peel" surface when not in use.






5) Stamp and clean as usual. When removing your stamp, be sure to keep your image sticker with the stamp, the Tack 'N Peel is extremely sticky and will tear the clear sticker if you're not careful.



6) Store your unmounted stamps in an envelope, pencil pocket, however you like. I store mine in clear divided page protectors sized for storing 5x7 photos in a 3 ring binder, available at office supply stores.

I do this with my retired "Stampin' Up" stamp sets, old Sale-A-Bration sets and hostess sets that I don't use in demonstrations anymore. Now I have a basket full of good quality maple blocks, maybe I'll make a table top out of them - when the kids are done using them as building blocks. Carpe Forma!

No comments:

Post a Comment